Saturday 30 April 2011

Telemarketing

A big part of my job as manager is calling previous customers and getting them to book their window cleaning appointments. Basically, it's turned me into a (mostly annoying) telemarketer. Now, I've been on the receiving end of telemarketing calls plenty of times and while I always try to be polite I may be guilty of occasionally losing my cool and saying something mean or perhaps hanging up on them. Now, since I am the one making the calls, it seems God thought this would be the perfect opportunity to exact some sort of just revenge. Not particularly pleasant. Its a dreadful thing when you call someone at home and they're all excited when they first answer the phone (a chirpy "Hellooo") and then you tell them who you are and you hear their voice drops a few octaves and you hear this dismayed and tired "Oh", and you know this isn't going to go well. It's a pretty frustrating thing. Sometimes I feel like yelling at people and telling them that I'd much rather scoop flaming dog poop than be calling them right now but I just have to, seeing as how its my freakin' job!

While most of the time telemarketing is a huge pain in my backside, sometimes it can be somewhat fun, or interesting at the very least. I once called a previous customer and spoke to him for a full 15 minutes in which we discussed film and comedy and dissected different forms of humour, however we didn't really talk that much about his windows and finally he didn't even book a job! Well, sometimes you just got to take a break and talk to a stranger about random things. It just helps to put the joy in job (yes, I am aware it doesn't make too much sense but just go with it, will ya?).

In the end, any telemarketer who has been yelled at for calling people during dinner time or just for calling at all will tell you that it's a deceptively hard job, which isn't all together very rewarding either. Not to mention you're sitting at the damn desk with a headset on (oh, yes I bought one), doing nothing but talking and munching on snacks. One thing is for sure, whether or not it helps in the expansion of your business it most certainly helps in the expansion of your ass.


Seinfeld: Hello?
Telemarketer: Hello sir, would you be interested in blah blah blah..?
Seinfeld: Oh, I'm busy at the moment. How about you give me your home phone number and I'll call you back?
Telemarketer: Uhhh... I don't think I can give you my home number.
Seinfeld: Why is that? Because you don't want strangers calling you at home?
Telemarketer: Well.. yes.
Seinfeld: Great, so now you know how I feel. *hangs up*

3 comments:

  1. haha....i empathise.....had a somewhat similar xperience wen i ws doin some sponsorship work for mi coll fest....since then i try bein polite to such ppl who calll.....likd d end though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh n 1 more thing....if u want ppl ta read ur blogs u shud change ur dp....u look SCARY!!!!!!!!!!
    (ws dis clickd after a day of calls?!?!?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haw! So mean! I actually like that picture! lol..

    ReplyDelete