Thursday 28 April 2011

Windows

I don't know if you've ever realized just how many kinds of windows there really are. Fixed windows, orieal windows, bay windows, jalousie windows, sash windows, french windows, storm windows, various types of storm windows, blah blah blah.. There really is no end in sight.

In my whole life I have been familiar with one single type of window- Glass window. Perfect, isn't it? So now here I am, a professional window cleaner (because that is what my business is) who knows not the first thing about windows. So off course I had to learn.

I remember spending prolonged periods of agonizing time staring up with tear filled eyes (most of the time it was really cold, we're talking -20'C) trying to figure out why there is a tiny gap between two panes of glass in which there is a partition grid. Am I supposed to pull the two pieces apart? How would I clean in between? Do I clean in between? *Brain explodes* I finally figured, after a length of time that I am not proud of, that the little gap between the two glass pieces was insulation, courtesy the insulating window, a very common sight in the freezing weather of Canada.

Do I seem ill equipped to clean windows? Perhaps. But am I ill equipped to run this business? Hell no. With all its problems and all its chances this entire business is, for me, a fantastic learning opportunity. Not only to learn about windows (I wonder where this knowledge will help me in the future), but to learn about hard work and people skills (I've been yelled at my fair share of times too). To learn about my own mental and physical capacity. To learn about sales and marketing. To test my limits and my patience. I take this as an opportunity to not only learn about business management and all the other soft skills they're always saying something about at job fairs and employment workshops; I also take this as an opportunity (more importantly at that) to learn about myself.


"Find yourself and do it on purpose."
-Dolly Parton

No comments:

Post a Comment